Thursday 5 November 2009

Walk in the park...or not

Today's cards are ones I considered for my September Spring Mini class, but in the end changed my mind. I just wasn't sure about them & Damien (hubby & card critic) wasn't either. The funny thing is that I displayed them at the class, where it turned out that the girls at the class did like them. Damien was then roused on by all - oops! Anyway, I'll show you both cards & you can make your own decision on which, if any you like too. Here is the first one. The colours are a bit unusual for me – basic grey, cameo coral, going grey, baja breeze & whisper white, but just trusted the pretty 'Walk in the Park' DSP & went from there. I used the 'Great Friend' set again (what will I do without this set...at least until September next year?) & you might remember the layout from this card, which was cased from this one by Shelli Barron. Told you I loved it!

There are lots of layers in the matted section, with two, plus the butterfly popped on dimensionals. I added more 'pretty' with some clear rhinestone brads & basic grey taffeta ribbon. Here is a close up of the panel. One thing that mightn't be obvious is that the grey scallop around the greeting is not a punched scallop. I actually just punched through the DSP before attaching it to the front to show the basic grey card base. The greeting is popped on dimensionals. Anyway, why didn't it make the cut? Well, I thought it may look a little busy, although I do like it a bit more now.

And another one....

This was actually part of the first card I made & then pulled apart (hee hee). The butterfly panel was originally horizontal (like the one above), but I decided it was too big & made the second one (above) smaller. After fiddling around a bit though, I turned this panel so it was vertical & then reversed the paper (this pattern is actually the back of the floral in the first card), to try to overcome the busy feeling. Here's a close up of the main panel: In the end, this was Damien's favourite of the two, but I still wasn't sure about it....so I did something completely different & made the patchwork card instead!
Side story – it was my birthday a couple of weeks after this class & one of my friends gave me a hilarious & very appropriate fridge magnet which says "The opinions of the husband are not necessarily those of the manager." Too funny!

Inky wishes
Di

Supplies:
Stamps: Great Friend
Card/Ink: basic grey, baja breeze, cameo coral, whisper white, Walk in the Park DSP
Ink: basic grey, going grey, baja breeze, cameo coral
Accessories: basic grey taffeta ribbon, clear rhinestone brads
Tools: punches: scallop oval, large oval, small oval

No comments: