Saturday 26 June 2010

Top note butterflies

As promised, I have more butterfly cards to show you today. These cards are all really simple & quick, but they're some of my recent favourites. I really liked the layout (what's not to love about that Top Note) & kept making cards with little variations. It's something I often do when I'm making my class prototypes, as I try to find one I like the best & what will work well in a class setting....or I just get carried away – especially with matching stamps & punches. Anyway, it's a little glimpse into my design process, so I hope you don't get too bored!
Working backwards, this was the last version I made, as a class project in April. I really liked how the polka dot butterflies (from Flight of the Butterfly) & polka dot background worked together. Each of the butterflies has a cardstock butterfly behind the stamped one to give some shadow & texture & I think the trio flower & brad finishes it off nicely.
This version was a March class project & was a farewell to the Summer Mini, plus a little sneak peek for the Autumn/Winter mini. The swirly butterflies (Butterfly Prints) were inked in pale plum & sponge daubered lightly around the edges in rich razzleberry to give a soft blended look. I carried the swirls through to the background using the 'Priceless' set. The base is pink pirouette base with pink pirouette ink rather than pale plum, as I liked how it looked with the razzleberry & thought it would make sharing supplies easier in a bigger group.
For this one, the butterflies are inked in pretty in pink & rich razzleberry, with razzleberry flowers & I used some Candy Lane DSP for the background & razzleberry flowers in the centre.
For this one, I created a different look using the hound's-tooth patterned butterfly (Butterfly Prints) & antennae stamps in pretty in pink & razzleberry. I also changed the centres to a rhinestone brad for a bit of bling.

That's all for this layout, finally but I've one final card to show you that I made at the same time. It was a case of one by Kellie too I think. I added some texture to the white background with my new polka dot embossing folder & some polka dot ribbon, plain side up.
Anyway, Thanks very much for visiting. I think that's all the butterflies I have for now. I'll be back next time with....I'm not sure yet, but I still have heaps to share. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Inky wishes, Di

PS: Just a reminder - the butterfly punch is still available even though it's from the Summer Mini.

Supplies (All Stampin' Up! unless noted)
Stamps: Flight of the Butterfly, Butterfly Prints (Summer Mini), Priceless, Polka Dot background, Whimsical Words (SAB 2010), Best Yet (L1 Hostess), Sincere Salutations
Card/Paper: pink pirouette, pretty in pink, pale plum, rich razzleberry card, Candy Lane DSP
Ink: pale plum, rich razzleberry, pretty in pink
Accessories: silver brads, clear rhinestone brads, razzleberry polka dot grosgrain ribbon
Tools: Top Note die, Polka dot textured impressions folder, punches – butterfly & trio flower, sponge dauber

3 comments:

KimB said...

Hi Di,

you weren't kidding you did have a lot of butterflies! They are lovely. Great colour combos and pairing of backgrounds of backgrounds to match the butterflies. Love the flower centres too - allllmost bought the Trio punch on special but resisted at the last minute!

Kim

Nerida said...

Di, these are absolutely lovely. Gorgous how you have blended the Rich razzleberry with the daubers.

Liam said...

love these cards. Beautiful work.

Liam