Tuesday 6 July 2010

Belated birthday girl with bling ... & Spongebob

Well, today, you'll see how behind in posts I still am, as I'm going back to May 3rd to re-celebrate my beautiful big girl Cara's 9th birthday (or almost being 'double figures' & a grown up according tor her). Here's the birthday girl with her yummy Baskin Robbins ice cream cake.
 
Cara loves a bit of bling, so I wanted to get very glittery with her birthday card & thought that Sticky Cuts & Supernova glitter would fit the bill very nicely. Here's what I came up with.
& in case you missed the giant glittery flower, here's a close up:
To make it, I attached the flower sticky cut to the die cut bloom, peeled part of the image to add the blue glitter, and then peeled back the rest to add the red glitter. The centre is a build a brad that's been given the glitter treatment too with some leftover bits Sticky Cuts. I attached one side to the brad base, glittered it, and then added the clear top to seal in the glitter. The flower is attached to the paper with dimensionals. The stem (which is just a line of normal sticky strip tape) & leaves are attached straight onto to the DSP background. The DSP is from the brilliant Hand Drawn bundle - a level 3 hostess bundle of matching DSP, stamps & rub-ons. as you can see, I snuck another Top Note into the card (yes, I'm obsessed with it) for the happy birthday greeting. I couldn't find my number stamps for the 9, so I had to settle for a printed one, which doesn't totally match the colours, but what was a girl to do? It got the dazzling diamonds treatment for a little added sparkle. You can see better it here.

On the inside, I repeated the DSP from the front & used one of the matching rub-ons from the pack for the greeting. Please ignore the blurry sections, where I erased Dad's message to Cara....must remember to take pics before writing on cards! By the way, the card is front is 21 x 10 cm

The Party Invitations

You might also like to see the party invitations I made for her SpongeBob bowling party with her buddies. I had some ideas for invites, but Cara wanted use the ones the bowling Centre had provided (shock-horror!).
A compromise was called for, so I used the bowling ones as the base & inspiration for the colours – elegant eggplant, green galore & taken with teal (bet you never thought you'd see those colours together here!).

I thought a punch art Spongebob would be a fun addition (note – "thought"), but I have to say that while you know I love punches, punch art is not generally my bag & certainly not when doing multiples! Fortunately, I found this fab SpongeBob here to use. My version is not quite right, but Cara thought he was cool, so that was good enough for me....& I had no more time to fiddle! Here's the back & front of the invite (& please pardon the colours - you'll just have to trust me that the colours looked much nicer IRL).
Here's SpongeBob in close-up.
Anyway, that's all from me for now. Thanks for visiting & hope to see you here again soon.
Inky wishes, Di

Supplies:
Birthday card
Stamps: It's Your Birthday (retired)
Card/paper elements: riding hood red, baja breeze, whisper white, Hand Drawn DSP, Sweet Sticky Cuts, Blooms die cuts
Ink: riding hood red, Hand Drawn rub-ons
Accessories: riding hood red tafetta ribbon, build a brad, Sticky Strip tape
Tools: ½ inch punch, SU Top Note die
    
Invitations:
Card: Spongebob - yo yo yellow, basic black, tempting turquoise, choc chip, riding hood red, whisper white; Base – elegant eggplant, green galore/taken with teal
Tools: cropadile (small holes), punches – scallop square, ½ inch circle, ¼ inch circle, 1/8 inch hand punch, word window, large oval, trio flower

8 comments:

Paula Dobson said...

My husband loves Spongebob and has just given you a big thumbs up! Now he is singing the theme song!!!!!

KimB said...

Hi Di,

no girl can go past some sparkle and bling and you did a fabulous job for Cara's card. Love that big flower :)

Kim

kareN stampZ said...

they're just FABULOUS - sponge bob is very cool

bed frame said...

I love your birthday cards but your spongebob card is the best for me. He is so cute. My daughter is going to like that card if she sees it.

Louise said...

Wow, I bet you had glitter everywhere after this masterpiece! Such a pretty card for your gorgeous birthday girl - I'm sure she loved it.

Sam said...

Such a beautiful blinged-up card birthday Di. I also LOVE your Spongebob! He looks perfect to me.

:-)
Sam.

Andrea said...

Hope your baby had a wonderful birthday. Your Spongebob is soooo clever.

dancilhoney said...

I received the Spongebob Party Supplies this morning, thank you so much for your help and a lot of idea on your blog.