Thursday 15 March 2012

Enchanted flowers side spring card

Hello, I'm finally back! Tonight's card is one I made for my gorgeous friend Kellie's birthday in Feb. I liked it so much it became one of the projects for my first class of the year too. Kellie & I both love fancy fold cards, so when I saw a tutorial on SplitcoastStampers for a side spring card, I thought I MUST try this. Then I saw some great info on our SU Demonstrator site by the v talented Cathy Clark, on making awesome vintage style flowers with punches. So, I combined the two with some pretty SAB DSP, yummy velvet ribbon & this is what I came up with.
I adjusted the size of the Splitcoast side spring card, to make it bigger & fit our standard size envelopes....although I needed a padded envelope for this flower version!
Here's a slightly different layout, using a different sentiment from the 'Friendly Phrases' set. Love, love, love this set!
And, here's a close up of the flowers.
I made the flowers with a combination of 3 punches - the fancy flower, triple layer doily & largest boho blossom. Just put all the layers together with a brad (I used our gorgeous antique brads), then wet & scrunch each layer, then gently open up each scrunched layer & leave to dry in your preferred shape. I got a little impatient & used my heat gun on some - just be careful not to singe the flower or yourself.

I think my class regulars enjoyed the project too & now we're experimenting with other flowers & punches too. Kellie liked it too, as she decided to make a variation with her own class this month.
Hope you liked them too.

If you'd like to try either the side step card or the flowers, check out the following links:
Side Spring card tutorial here
Some of Cathy's fab flower projects - you must check out all Cathy's flowers. They're just divine!
Any other questions? Just leave a comment.....or leave a comment anyway. I love hearing from you.

I'll show you the second project from my class next time. Until then, thanks very much for visiting.
Inky wishes, Di

Edited to add - looking at the pics now, the cards are at a weird angle making the diagonal look huge. It's not like that IRL. I had so much trouble photographing this & tried 3 separate times, so not going back again! Sorry!
Supplies:
Stamps: Friendly Phrases
Card/Paper: very vanilla, early espresso, riding hood red card, Everyday Enchantment DSP
Ink: early espresso
Accessories: antique brads, regular brads, very vanilla velvet ribbon
Tools: punches: fancy flower, triple layer doily, boho blossom, blossom builder, decorative label

5 comments:

Nikki Spencer said...

Wow...Di those flowers are really beautiful, l love the combination of DSP and petal colours, a really gorgeous card.xxx

KimB said...

Oh my Di :) those flowers have a very big wow impact!! I've never tried the wetting and scrunching method - I will not though!! Love them matched up the Enchanted DSP too.
Kim xxx

KimB said...

Oops I meant "I will now" not "I will not" - lol!

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Wow! Stunning flowers with a great card design.

H2 :) said...

Fabulous flowers & a fun fold! :)